175g Caster sugar
75g Brown or muscovado sugar
125g Chocolate (milk or plain)
1 tbsp Golden syrup
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
100g Plain flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
1. Heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (180oC), and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. Melt the butter, sugar, chocolate and golden syrup in a saucepan until the mixture is smooth (it may be slightly grainy due to the sugar, but this is fine – as long as all the ingredients are mixed and melted).
3. Beat the eggs until light and frothy, then add the chocolate mixture, vanilla essence, flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly until smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the tin, and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
5. Cut into slices and enjoy! Tastes great with ice cream or whipped cream.